CS 240A: Applied Parallel Computing
Fall Quarter, 2017
Class schedule: Tuesday/Thursday. 1:00pm-2:50pm Phelp 2510
- Instructor: Tao Yang (tyang at cs).
Tuesday 12-1 and Thursday after CS240A class
(or email me for appointments or just stop by my office). HFH building, Room 5113
This course covers high-performance
parallel/distributed computing systems and applications on modern computers. Topics include
We will cover basic concepts and study recent technical papers in these areas.
The expected work includes a class project/presentation, homework assignments,
and an exam (most likely take-home).
- High performance computing and memory hierarchy.
- Parallel architecture and clusters.
- Patterns of parallelism and program transformation.
- Parallel and distributed programming. Threads, OpenMP, MPI, and MapReduce/Spark.
- Parallel algorithms for numerical computing, data mining, and search.
- Performance and parallelism in Internet systems. High throughput computing.
Last modified: 09/05/2017